Sunday, March 24, 2013

SpongeBob Sqaurepants Cake

 I have to admit that this cake was my first cake I've done using fondant ever, plus this cake was a test cake for an upcoming birthday for a special little boy. Here I used a 6 in. square cake that is just a plain white batter, since it was for a soon to be 1 yr old.

Next, I dirty iced the cake with a home made cherry frosting. Why did I use a cherry frosting for a 1 yr old's cake, well I wanted the cake to be a little sweet for him to like plus, Cherry was a flavor I have not used yet in a frosting.

For Spongebob's pants I used rice crispy treats as you can see here. I dirty iced the rice treats too since I will be covering them in fondant too. After icing them I put them in the fridge for everything to firm up so I can cover everything in fondant.

Spongebob is now yellow and has his shirt and pants on. Working with fondant for the first time was kinda of nerve racking because I did not know how fast it would dry out, but I managed to get the cake covered and also the rice treats covered in a chocolate fondant which smelled so good !

Doing the details is what took the longest in completing this cake. I put on the tie and eyes and I also did the hole intends so he looked like a sponge, which I am very happy that the fondant did not crack in any way and kept the shape very well.

SpongeBob is almost done in this picture. I used a blue edible marker for the blue part of his eyes since I could not get any blue fondant. I also used it for the little dimples by his mouth as well. All of the shapes were done by free hand.


I added his nose, arms along with the white shirt sleeves, legs with his socks, and shoes. The cake looks shiny because I had him in the fridge the night before and it was starting to warm up, which i thought it would of looked horrible, but it still looked awesome after being in the fridge. I simply just used the fondant to mold of the arms, sleeves, nose, legs, socks, and shoes.

Here is the finished cake. I used tooth picks to hold the legs & shoes together with the rice treats. I also put a tooth pick in the arms as well, I did inform my client that there was tooth picks inside as well. This cake took almost 24 hrs to complete and I can not wait to do my next cake.








No comments:

Post a Comment